Monday, August 5, 2013

Day 43; Monday, August 5

Grand Rapids, MI - Laingsburg, MI = 107kms
Bike Team = Zack's Angels
 
Woke up at 6:00 this morning and it was chilly! I went straight to the kitchen truck to pack my lunch before all the good food was taken; it was still dark outside. I took my time eating breakfast since it's a short bike ride today.
 
We stopped at 40kms at a place called Germaine's to eat a 2nd breakfast. They had exactly what we were looking for - good food for a good price. We were talking to 2 ladies at the restaurant and they gave us a 15$ donation.


 
We pulled into camp at 1:00 and ate our packed lunches right away. Today we're staying at an actual campground. Sites 1-50 were reserved for us. Zack's Angels stuck together and claimed our own site. So fun!
 
We showered and then got invited to the Kooy's campsite for a campfire. They had marshmallows to roast, hot dogs, speculaas cookies, and chocolate bars. Felt like we were on a real camping trip.
 
We had an early dinner at 5:00 of pulled pork sandwiches, corn on the cob, beans, salad and fresh fruit. Dessert was apple/berry crisp. As we ate there were scattered showers, but we managed to stay somewhat dry by crowding in a sheltered picnic area. One new cyclist introduced himself to me and said, "Your Uncle Adrian says hi!" - he's from Exeter, ON and goes to church with my uncle.
 
At our peloton meeting we found out our overall total of 300 flats since the beginning of the tour.
 
Afterwards there was small group. Len Kooy reformed and started a new small group for people who wanted to leave their assigned groups- called "Group 31". I signed up, and so did Karyn, Stretch Mark, and Joan. We had a short/fun meeting and then it was over- we agreed instead of meeting every day like everyone else, we would only meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
 
Since it was still early and fairly light outside, I went for a 1 hour hike by myself. When I got back to the campground I joined the Westra's at their campsite for a campfire before heading to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment