Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day 41; August 3 - Calvin College

Holland, MI - Grand Rapids, MI = 60kms
Bike Team = Zack's Angels

Since we have a short ride today, we got to sleep in until 7:00! I packed all of my things up and loaded them onto the gear truck. We had a pancake breakfast served by the church on campus. As usual... we waited for Matt forEVER, and were the last team to leave camp around 8:30. We had to peddle sooo fast because we had a deadline of 11:00am to get to our destination of Calvin CRC for lunch. There were additional stops along the way that churches and friends of cyclists set up.


We got there around 11:15, and Aunt Mare was there to greet me!! :)

 
She was my first visitor so far- just so happened to be in Grand Rapids and able to stop by to say hi. We quickly ate lunch of turkey/ham on buns, macaroni salad and desserts. However, cyclists kept pouring in after us and they quickly ran out of food because the church had been given the wrong number of cyclists requiring lunch. They had to order pizza for those who hadn't eaten. When we were all fed we all biked to Calvin College together. There were people there to cheer us on.
 
 
 
 
I got my very own dorm suite!! This is the first time on the tour I truly felt like I had privacy and independence- I even had my own private shower! What a treat. We also found out there were free laundry facilities in the basement. I brought every piece of clothing I had down to get washed. We enjoyed treats Calvin College provided for us in the shared kitchens.
 
Calvin College welcomes Sea to Sea Riders! Please enjoy the peaches and baked goods. Bottled water is in the refrigerator.
 
We got a ride with 'bearded Mark' to a local coffee shop for tea and Wi-Fi. We ate dinner on campus of Calvin College- it was the best dinner so far! Grilled chicken, wild rice, salad, steamed vegetables, strawberry shortcake for dessert. Super fancy. Most cyclists missed out on dinner because they ate at restaurants or with their friends/families' homes.
 
 

I watched Bachelorette Finale Part 1 with Laura on her laptop in our pj's. Bearded Mark came over to our lounge area with his friend Karl and they invited us over to Karl's place for drinks. We changed back into regular clothes, Karyn and Zack joined, and we all went to a grocery store to pick up liquor. We brought it to Karl's place and drank and just hang out- it felt so good to do something 'normal' on a Saturday night!!
 
Bearded Mark and Karl raved about "yesterdogs" - apparently the best hot dogs in the world. So we went to try them out. They were pretty tasty! Bearded Mark even paid for them.
 
 
 
Bearded Mark, me, Zack enjoying Yesterdogs
 
The guys dropped us back off at our dorms at Calvin around 1:00am. I wanted to take advantage of having a whole dorm suite to myself, plus Wi-Fi, so I watched another episode of the Bachelorette until 2am :) Seriously- it was SOOO nice to have my own place after over a month of camping with over 100 other people. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment