Saturday, July 13, 2013

Weekend in Colorado Springs

Day 20 Saturday, July 13
Canon City, CO - Colorado Springs = 87kms
Bike Team: Kaitlyn

I had sweep duties this morning which meant I had to wake up extra early to help set out breakfast and clean up afterwards. Lots of climbing right away- the first 25kms were the hardest part of the day. Since it was a short day of biking, we got to camp at noon. We met up with Zack's Angels on the road and stopped at a lemonade stand with them.

 
We ate our lunch at camp - today we will be staying at a Christian school on the top of a steep hill. the playground we'll be camping in is a giant sandbox, making it difficult to stake down our tents... Plus someone who unloaded the duffel bags placed them in a puddle of water. Since mine is an old hockey bag filled with holes all of my stuff got SOAKED. Unimpressed.
 
 
I had a community shower in the school's girl's locker room then hung around until we could find a driver to take us to a laundry mat. We finally found someone and were given an hour to clean our weeks worth of dirty jerseys. While our clothes were in the washers, we walked over to a wafflehouse (these are big in the states). Kaitlyn and Zack got waffles and I got a coffee. We told the staff all about sea to sea- they thought it was pretty cool and said they were going to follow us online.
 
 
Back at camp I organized my laundry and facebooked since the school lounge has wi-fi. Supper was spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, and bread pudding. We struggled to eat because it was POURING rain and we couldn't eat inside the school. We took shelter in the gear truck and underneath it.
 
 



 
We hung out in the lounge of the high school and then decided we'd go out. We walked to BJ's Brewhouse and had drinks and appetizers. Laura and I shared a pitcher of cider and stole nachos from Matt. Back at camp for bed at midnight.
 
 
Day 21: Sunday, July 14
Woke up at 7:30am and had a smaller breakfast since we will be served a big lunch at the church. We all weighed ourselves- I've gained 4 pounds since the beginning of the tour. Hopefully that's 4 pounds of muscle... Sounds like everyone's weight has gone up. We walked to the local CRC church which was about 15 minutes away. The church served us pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad and so many desserts!
 

 


At 1:00, I signed up to go on an afternoon bus trip to go to Pike's Peak. It was a pretty cool drive! Lots of fog at the top and very cold- glad I brought a sweater. Got to climb some giant rocks; it was a lot of fun, but unfortunately took up the whole afternoon.






 
Back at camp, they were serving leftovers for dinner so I went out for supper at "Chipotles" with Zack, Laura and Matt. We got burritos and margaritas. We then walked to an ice cream shop for dessert.
 
 
I facebooked and skyped with Dad and Bethany - they're camping right now at Sandbanks. I had to then attend our Peloton meeting- during the meeting it started to rain HARD. They said we could sleep inside tonight because of the rain. I quickly took down my tent and sought shelter in the school hallway.



I skyped Dad and Bethany again- this time they had Elaina with them. Early to bed!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sara!
    Good to be reading your blogs!
    Oh my goodness I don't know how you can bike for so long so far each day!!! It's incredible! I wouldn't be able to handle that Heat!
    It sounds like ur having a blast though!! I'm so happy for you that you are getting to experience something like this! And proud of you, it is quite an accomplishment!
    Maybe sometime in the future we will be able to do something like this together!
    How much longer is left in your tour? And where is your final destination??
    I will continue to pray for your safe journey! And I hope that it all continues to go well for u! (Hopefully not too hot or too many random rain storms lol and hopefully no more soaked bags!)
    U look great by the way! So I'd definitely say it was muscle weight that you've gained lol.
    Looking forward to reading more of your blogs!! :)
    Keep up the amazing work!!!
    Xoxox
    Ashley Bannister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley! It's been way too long since we've been able to hang out :( I'm having a really great time, it's definitely tough, but everyday is a new adventure. Do you have a bike out west? I'm still deciding whether I want to take mine when I move, but we can at least do hiking like we planned before.
    The tour ends August 24 and then me and my Dad will drive out to Edmonton on September 1. Our final destination is Staten Island. Miss you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete